The City of Austin has a non-emergency telephone line, 3-1-1, that anyone from within the city limits, on either a cell phone or land line, can call for help or advice. If you can't get that number to work, you can also call (512) 974-2000, which will take you to the same line. Operators are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you prefer, you can now report many issues online rather than calling the phone number.
When should you use 3-1-1?
- If you have solid waste/garbage/recycling concerns or issues.
- If you see a water leak or flood.
- If there is a non-emergency crime that needs to be reported to police.
- If you see an animal left in a vehicle or witness other means of animal cruelty or neglect.
- If you have complaints about a barking dog or animal bites.
- If you have bat issues.
- If you own or see a sick or injured animal (besides livestock or deer).
- If you see debris in the street.
- If a traffic signal is malfunctioning or if a traffic sign needs maintenance.
- If there are trees or low limbs in the street, or vegetation causing blind corners.
- If you need to report a pothole in the road.
- If a dead animal needs to be removed from the road.
What is 3-1-1 NOT for?
- To report power outages. Call (512) 322-9100.
- If you see an injured deer. Call (512) 389-4848.
- If you have questions about your electric or water account. Call (512) 494-9400.
- If you see tree limbs on power lines. Call (512) 494-9400.
- If you have questions about street construction. Call (512) 974-7065.
- Wildlife rescue issues. Call (512) 472-9453.
- If you have questions about central booking or jail. Call (512) 854-5245.
- If you have questions about Texas Gas Service. Call (800) 700-2443.